Monday, May 13, 2019

Earthquakes in Hawaii

I meant to post this on April 15th...

On Saturday afternoon, we had a big earthquake here!
The official report was that it was only a 5.5, but even the USGS reported that “violent’ shaking was felt in many areas. Mine was one of those. I was in the kitchen when it happened, and I could see my range bouncing up and down and I could hear things falling all around my house. All day yesterday, I would spot things around my house that had been knocked over. And everything hanging on my walls was crooked. But nothing of any consequence was actually broken. A little super glue and I was back to normal…

But…

My neighbor is on the mainland this week and I’m watching his house. He has/had a collection of beer glasses on a high shelf. Yeah…. I spent yesterday afternoon cleaning up broken glass. I can say with certainty that when a beer glass falls 8 feet onto a tile floor, it breaks into a billion pieces. I wasn’t cleaning up shards of glass, it was more like glass dust.

It’ll be a long time before he can walk barefoot in his kitchen.

Fortunately, this earthquake had nothing to do with the volcano. It's not coming back to life... yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment