Around noon on the 4th of July, I smelled smoke and very soon saw this plume of smoke down the hill from my house. It seemed VERY close, and I now know that it was only half a mile away.
About the time that the nerve-wracking noise from the helicopters stopped, the sound of my neighbors' fireworks started. Sophie was a wreck! I spent much of the night with the TV turned up loud and Sophie's head in my lap, with my hands covering and stroking her ears. !!!!!!!!!!! The poor little thing doesn't bark at the noise or overtly freak out. She just starts to shiver like she's freezing.
When the helicopters left, I hoped that meant they'd put out the fire, but I checked several times in the night and could clearly see the smoke cloud still growing. At dawn on Sunday, the helicopters came back and worked until late in the afternoon.
Fortunately it was "only" a grass fire. My personal forensic investigation tells me that it was "kids" shooting off fireworks in the open field behind their houses. Here's where it was in relation to my house:
I'll end this story on a happy note: no houses were burned and we had a gorgeous sunset on Saturday night. These are smoke clouds coloring the sky:
Happy 4th of July, everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment