Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Kona Ironman

The Kona Ironman was this past Saturday. The cycling part of the race was a 100-mile round trip from Kailua to Hawi (on the northern tip of the island). They closed the Queen Ka'ahumanu highway for the riders. All week I'd seen signs at the bottom of Ka'iminani (my main access road) warning that the highway would be closed at that junction.
So on Saturday morning, I drove to where Ka'iminani was barricaded and watched the cyclists as they went by.
I arrived early enough to see the last of the riders heading north and then stayed long enough to see the first of the riders as they came back. The leaders were at least 3 hours ahead of the tail-end riders.

Other locals watching the leading riders returning from Hawi:



The last rider as he headed north - several hours behind the leaders. He's probably old enough to be the grandfather of the lead rider:



The lead rider returning from the 100 mile trek - and he STILL has to run a marathon after this:



Aloha y'all!



No comments:

Post a Comment